[Ohrrpgce] Achievement implementations

Mike Caron caron.mike at outlook.com
Thu Oct 28 07:08:37 PDT 2021

​The tag_updates function is the place to put hooks for when a tag changes.
I assumed there might be a place like that. Thanks!

If achievements are displayed through steam, how does this work? You
can cause Steam to popup a progress notification with text of your
choice? Or does it have to be numerical, or predefined in Steam's
achievement editor?
​You can just tell it to display progress whenever you want, I believe. I was thinking that we would just do this whenever "value % interval == 0".

What about achievements that can be progressed towards in separate
saved games? The example you put on the wiki of finding all the ways
to die is one where progress needs to be shared rather than
save-specific.
​I was envisioning a game where these deaths were not game-over-and-reloading-your-last-save inducing, but I suppose that's not clear. I am not sure how we might want to handle cross-save achievements. Part of me wants to not handle it at all and let game creators do that themselves (if or when custom IO is a thing), but it also wouldn't be Too​ hard to add it now either. On the third hand, I suspect this is a rather more niche feature, so maybe we can just punt the issue down the road a bit.

Creating an editor for RELOAD-based data is not yet simple, but I'm
going to make a start on generalising the Purchases editor (most
likely) into a class for defining editable RELOAD trees.
Neat. I haven't actually looked too hard into what editors look like these days so I'm not sure how bad "not yet simple" is, but if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Pleased that documentation already exists on the wiki, documenting
everything is a big task!
​If I had to pick one lesson that I've learned over the years, it's that documenting things first makes implementation easier. It's keeping that documentation up to date that is the challenge 😄

The permanent data storage you're looking for is
https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Persist.reld