[Ohrrpgce] Achievements

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 20:13:25 PDT 2018

The last few days I've been really busy with other stuff, but I'm
working on fixing joysticks now.

I'm also thinking ahead to achievements. I figure even if they were
only partially done by the time KBB is released, it might be good to
at least be able to track them so that players can earn achievements
even if they're not aware of them.

Step one is to let you define achievements and earn them.
I figure there should be three ways to do so:
-as a textbox conditional (triggered after the textbox advances, so it
isn't shown over the textbox)
-via script commands
-by setting tags. The achievement would stay unlocked if the tags are
later changed back. (Note that this means that the achievement could
be unlocked during a battle or while you're inside some menu where
scripts can't normally run

Step two is integration with steam.
Additionally, progress on achievements can be downloaded from steam,
so that it's shared between multiple computers. But that can be
implemented later.

Step three is an alternative way to show achievements in-game if the
game isn't being run via steam. That should be pretty straightforward.
But there should also be a new menu to show a list of achievements
you've unlocked, which is more work.

I guess there are two types of achievements: those unlocked directly,
and those which have a progress bar.

Also, steam lets you fetch info about achievements such as their
description and image, but I think we'll probably ignore that and
require duplicating that info inside Custom. (If steam is handling the
display of achievement popups, it won't be needed anyway)