[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/8828 Finally add new Custom title screen. Also add a help file

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Wed Jun 7 08:45:54 PDT 2017

Yeah, I went googling around a bit, and learned that % in filenames is
annoying for batch files, mildly inconvenient for a few edge cases in shell
scripting, and widely recommended against for what appears to be purely
superstitious reasons.

So I am just going to count my aversion to it as superstition.

It ain't like I haven't worked with enough filenames that get "%20"
embedded in them one way or another ;)

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 8:38 AM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aside from its special role in the Bourne shell and a mention of an
> obscure realtime OS from the 70's at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Filename, % doesn't seem to be reserved anywhere.
> (If you try to look up a list of reserved characters on Windows, you find
> out that there is no such list, for various scary reasons, such as that it
> depends on the filesystem and system codepage! The Windows kernel itself is
> agnostic, just like Linux; afterall it is POSIX compliant)
>
> On that note, I note that fixfilename (used in inputfilename) is too
> restrictive, and find_file_portably isn't restrictive enough.
>

> On 7 June 2017 at 23:57, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>
>> A % sign in a filename makes me nervous... Should it?
>>

>> On Tuesday, June 6, 2017, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> teeemcee
>>> 2017-06-06 23:54:52 -0700 (Tue, 06 Jun 2017)