[Ohrrpgce] ichorescent goals

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Thu Mar 3 19:27:15 PST 2022

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 10:14 PM Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was originally hoping that we could release in December (3 months after
> hróðvitnir). I'd like to go back to aiming for releases every 3 months or
> even faster if there's something significant worth getting in people's
> hands.
>
> My branch for that backcompat bit for non-320x200 battles is almost done
> now that the UI is slicified.
>
> As for converting the in-battle Items and Spells menus, before that
> happens I've got a big patch from Sword to make the number of display
> columns variable, and depend on the resolution (the main goal was actually
> to support smaller resolutions!) In the Spells menu it also separates the
> number of display columns from the number of spells per Level MP level.
> It's not easy to get this patch finished. Of course slicifying the menus
> would make much of it obsolete.
>
> Currently I'm working on 256 sprites by using palette index -2 to mean to
> use the master palette directly. Considering how relatively easy it is, and
> what a big limitation it is, we really should have done it many years ago!
> The process of fixing things up also gets us a lot closer to supporting
> real 256 colour palettes in the sprite editor, so I wonder whether I should
> try to squeeze that into the release too, by adding a very simple .rpal
> file format.
>
> I'm also working on a big patch to add sprite slice transforms. I'm
> working on bugfixing it currently, and might manage to get that done today.
>
> I've also got a branch for a new CPU usage display debug mode, which is
> done aside from graphical tweaking.
>
> Bena has been working on adding a "read attack data" command. I don't know
> when it'll be done, but it'll need to alot of review to avoid backcompat
> headaches in future.

That all sounds like good and fun stuff :)

> As for things that need fixing:
>
> I'm really concerned by the report we had about the missing slice
> collection error in the Items menu on Android, likely a problem with
> datafiles.o. And even before that there have been reports for years that
> the Items menu was seriously buggy on Android.

I don't remember anything about this one. I didn't run into any item
problems in my last playthrough of Wandering Hamster on android. Do we have
anything reproducible?

> Feenick reported that deleting an NPC in the NPC editor deletes NPC 0
> instead.

I have added this to my todo list

> attack_can_hit_dead still needs to be updated for Turncoat & Defector.

I have added this one to my list also

> Do you want to fix battle menus to update each tick? In particular for
> player-controlled enemy menus.

Yes, I could. It is already on my list, and I could prioritize it for
ichorescent

> I think we need to update crashrpt to use https? You want to remove the
> http redirect?

I do want that, but it is not an ichorescent priority. We can do it later.

> But over the weekend I'm going to have to stop to work on my 7DRL game
> instead! (I'll be using Godot again, although I'm hoping by next year we'll
> have a new script interpreter and I'll use the OHRRPGCE)

Yay! Exciting! I'm looking forward to playing whatever you come up with :)