[Ohrrpgce] ichorescent goals

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 03:30:55 PST 2022

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 at 16:27, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 10:14 PM Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I was originally hoping that we could release in December (3 months after
>> hróðvitnir). I'd like to go back to aiming for releases every 3 months or
>> even faster if there's something significant worth getting in people's
>> hands.
>>
>> My branch for that backcompat bit for non-320x200 battles is almost done
>> now that the UI is slicified.
>>
>> As for converting the in-battle Items and Spells menus, before that
>> happens I've got a big patch from Sword to make the number of display
>> columns variable, and depend on the resolution (the main goal was actually
>> to support smaller resolutions!) In the Spells menu it also separates the
>> number of display columns from the number of spells per Level MP level.
>> It's not easy to get this patch finished. Of course slicifying the menus
>> would make much of it obsolete.
>>
>> Currently I'm working on 256 sprites by using palette index -2 to mean to
>> use the master palette directly. Considering how relatively easy it is, and
>> what a big limitation it is, we really should have done it many years ago!
>> The process of fixing things up also gets us a lot closer to supporting
>> real 256 colour palettes in the sprite editor, so I wonder whether I should
>> try to squeeze that into the release too, by adding a very simple .rpal
>> file format.
>>
>> I'm also working on a big patch to add sprite slice transforms. I'm
>> working on bugfixing it currently, and might manage to get that done today.
>>
>> I've also got a branch for a new CPU usage display debug mode, which is
>> done aside from graphical tweaking.
>>
>> Bena has been working on adding a "read attack data" command. I don't
>> know when it'll be done, but it'll need to alot of review to avoid
>> backcompat headaches in future.
>>

> That all sounds like good and fun stuff :)
>

>> As for things that need fixing:
>>
>> I'm really concerned by the report we had about the missing slice
>> collection error in the Items menu on Android, likely a problem with
>> datafiles.o. And even before that there have been reports for years that
>> the Items menu was seriously buggy on Android.
>>

> I don't remember anything about this one. I didn't run into any item
> problems in my last playthrough of Wandering Hamster on android. Do we have
> anything reproducible?

That's good to hear, because, in the last years, more than one person
complained that the cursor didn't move properly in the Items menu (in
particular in the 3 column) in Wandering Hamster on Android (but I don't
remember hearing about it in other games). Maybe it was a particular
build/svn commit that was bad.

It was an email to ohrrpgce-crash we received Feb 9, showing the BUG
message "PLANK_MENU_APPEND: Couldn't find a template child of item
itemlist" when opening the Items menu. I still haven't tried to reproduce.
Maybe it's caused by the switch to Template slices rather than datafiles.o.

>> Feenick reported that deleting an NPC in the NPC editor deletes NPC 0
>> instead.
>>

> I have added this to my todo list
>

>> attack_can_hit_dead still needs to be updated for Turncoat & Defector.
>>

> I have added this one to my list also
>

>> Do you want to fix battle menus to update each tick? In particular for
>> player-controlled enemy menus.
>>

> Yes, I could. It is already on my list, and I could prioritize it for
> ichorescent
>

>> I think we need to update crashrpt to use https? You want to remove the
>> http redirect?
>>

> I do want that, but it is not an ichorescent priority. We can do it later.

It is a priority because crash reporting from any releases that use http
will stop working? So ideally we would wait until X time after all releases
use https before disabling http again.
Anyway it's a trivial change in os_windows2.c, I only didn't commit it
because I could only test it in my Win XP VM... and on Win XP, HTTPS
connections no longer work.

>> But over the weekend I'm going to have to stop to work on my 7DRL game
>> instead! (I'll be using Godot again, although I'm hoping by next year we'll
>> have a new script interpreter and I'll use the OHRRPGCE)
>>

> Yay! Exciting! I'm looking forward to playing whatever you come up with :)

This time we have a winning strategy: create a RL rather than something
ill-defined!