[Ohrrpgce] ichorescent goals

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 19:13:48 PST 2022

I was originally hoping that we could release in December (3 months after
hróðvitnir). I'd like to go back to aiming for releases every 3 months or
even faster if there's something significant worth getting in people's
hands.

My branch for that backcompat bit for non-320x200 battles is almost done
now that the UI is slicified.

As for converting the in-battle Items and Spells menus, before that happens
I've got a big patch from Sword to make the number of display columns
variable, and depend on the resolution (the main goal was actually to
support smaller resolutions!) In the Spells menu it also separates the
number of display columns from the number of spells per Level MP level.
It's not easy to get this patch finished. Of course slicifying the menus
would make much of it obsolete.

Currently I'm working on 256 sprites by using palette index -2 to mean to
use the master palette directly. Considering how relatively easy it is, and
what a big limitation it is, we really should have done it many years ago!
The process of fixing things up also gets us a lot closer to supporting
real 256 colour palettes in the sprite editor, so I wonder whether I should
try to squeeze that into the release too, by adding a very simple .rpal
file format.

I'm also working on a big patch to add sprite slice transforms. I'm working
on bugfixing it currently, and might manage to get that done today.

I've also got a branch for a new CPU usage display debug mode, which is
done aside from graphical tweaking.

Bena has been working on adding a "read attack data" command. I don't know
when it'll be done, but it'll need to alot of review to avoid backcompat
headaches in future.

As for things that need fixing:

I'm really concerned by the report we had about the missing slice
collection error in the Items menu on Android, likely a problem with
datafiles.o. And even before that there have been reports for years that
the Items menu was seriously buggy on Android.

Feenick reported that deleting an NPC in the NPC editor deletes NPC 0
instead.

attack_can_hit_dead still needs to be updated for Turncoat & Defector.

Do you want to fix battle menus to update each tick? In particular for
player-controlled enemy menus.

I think we need to update crashrpt to use https? You want to remove the
http redirect?

But over the weekend I'm going to have to stop to work on my 7DRL game
instead! (I'll be using Godot again, although I'm hoping by next year we'll
have a new script interpreter and I'll use the OHRRPGCE)