[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/12694 New enemy bitset "Controlled by Player"

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Tue Jan 18 16:48:48 PST 2022

So I do have a few other changes related to this one planned.
* An option to make heroes controlled by (random) AI
* A concept of "traitor" which will affect targeting classes when an
attacker is targeting
* A concept of "turncoat" which will affect targetting classes when an
target is being targeted
* Attacks that can turn these effects on and off or set-to-default

So an enemy with all 3 of Controllable, Traitor, and Turncoat would
function as a hero for that one battle.

To simulate a classic "Confuse" status, you would have an attack that turns
Controllable off, and traitor on, but don't touch turncoat. Then to end
that status, use an attack that sets Controllable and Turncoat back to
default.

Or a classic Berzerk could be implemented with Controllable=Off and could
end with controllable set to default (this would work for heroes, but
wouldn't do anything meaningful on an enemy)

This should allow a lot of possibilities, and is all pretty easy to
implement.

And yes, someone could totally fake 5 or 6 heroes in the party with this,
by using an instead-of-battle script, and adding hero enemies to the
formation with a script before the battle starts. Definitely not ideal, but
fine if people want to try it.

Actually increasing the size of the active party > 4 and increasing the
number of enemies in a formation > 8 is something I definite;ly want to do,
but it will require lots and lots of cleanup, which is outside of the scope
of what I am trying to do right now. In particular, there are tons of
places where the ID range within the bslot() array defines what a
BattleSprite Instance does, so the first step of that cleanup will probably
be to convert all access to bslot() to a set of accessor functions for
heroes, enemies, attack sprites, and weapon sprites. Then those different
ranges can be split apart into different arrays, which can be dynamically
sized when you load a battle formation with 15 enemies in it, or something
like that. But that is for later. I want to keep the scope of what I am
working on broken down into bite-sized baby-steps to mix a metaphor :D

Fortunately I think the current features I am adding will not make any of
that later work harder, and might even lead to a little helpful cleanup.