[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/12833 Slice based battle UI is now enabled by default.

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 18:10:21 PST 2022

Awesome.
I do want to make the slice editor more friendly -- it's for editing
graphical things, it ought to be really intuitive! Very recently I started
adding mouse support for moving and sizing slices.

Yes, let's not make it editable until it's stable.

I think we should add a "menu item" UI colour for text slices which, when
it appears in a menu item, appears as the appropriate colour (selected,
disabled, etc). This is the reason for SliceContext being named that way: I
intended that menu item (plank) slices for example would tell how to do
contextual expansion of UI colours, embed codes, and more.

I'm a bit surprised that you create the slices with code, which is going to
be thrown away later, rather than loading a .slices collection, but maybe
it's easier to reference against the existing code this way.

I hadn't thought of putting the targeting cursor in the same collection.
What about enemy HP meters, and other slice "decorations" users might want
on enemies? I guess we could put a template slice in the collection that's
cloned for each enemy (and also one for heroes) so that they can customise
it there, rather than needing separate collections for that. I was thinking
of eventually allowing an enemy's slices to be editable from the enemy
editor, for multipart enemies, but I suppose any slices shared between all
enemies, such as HP meter slices, wouldn't appear there. (Unless, say, you
wanted only bosses to have HP meters, then you could put the HP meter
slices in the slice collections for those specific enemies.)

Regarding the status icons, I see two options. Either the slices for each
icon are created by code, parented to a certain container in a certain
order, as you have it, or the icon slices preexist in the collection and
their visibility just gets toggled, which allows far more flexibility for
how they're displayed, but on the other hand doesn't allow adding arbitrary
icons unless it's by fallback creation of new slices. I think there was
also a plan was to let people define their own statuses in future, with
custom icons? Well, it could just be necessary for them to add them to the
slice collection.
For example, what if you want the icons to appear above the hero sprite
rather than next to their HP meter? Oh... so that's why you allow multiple
"hero info areas"?
I see you go to some trouble to avoid overwriting scripted changes to the
icon slices if they already exist, but they still get deleted when the
status disappears, rather than hidden. (Layout slices can skip invisible
children, while grid slices can only skip template slices. Incidentally,
status icons were a main usecase I was thinking of when I created layout
slices, but I see you're waiting on them being user-visible.)