[Ohrrpgce] Mac builds and SDL frameworks

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 18:10:41 PST 2019

James, could you please install the following on the Mac nightly build
machine (in either system or user Frameworks dir)?
https://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/release/SDL_mixer-1.2.12.dmg
https://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/release/SDL2_mixer-2.0.4.dmg
https://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15.dmg
https://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL2-2.0.10.dmg

I think you already should have at least the SDL.framework and
SDL_mixer.framework, but just double-checking. Latest versions of both were
released 2013-08-17!

(Those SDL/SDL_mixer 1.2 frameworks have been built as fat binaries, and
target OS 10.5+ while we target OS 10.4+, so I guess we will continue to
package 32-bit .apps with the wip/mac/frameworks.tar.gz builds we already
have. A alternative build of SDL.framework for OS 10.4+ is available but
they didn't make one available for SDL_mixer.framework)

I will blindly modify the build scripts to package an 64-bit-only gfx_sdl
.app, and ask users to test whether it actually works, because I can't. And
also an experimental 64-bit gfx_sdl2 build, though I think that shouldn't
become the default until after Fufluns.

As I said before, I think a good solution is to have two different Mac
builds:
-32 bit SDL 1.2 for OS 10.4+
-64 bit SDL 2 for OS 10.6+
We could then add two different options to the Distribute Game menu.

However, we could also create fat binary 32+64-bit .apps, which are twice
the size (OHRRPGCE-Game.app is currently 1.6MB zipped).
I guess that we could even package 32-bit gfx_sdl and 64-bit gfx_sdl2
builds into a single .app.
However I think it will be a pain to set up and the number of people using
32-bit Macs is low.
We have to make similar decisions about SDL 2 on Windows: it only supports
Win XP+.