[Ohrrpgce] Warning when running a 32-bit Mac .app

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 17:26:08 PST 2019

been released, without support for 32-bit programs! 10.13-14 also complain
when running a 32-bit app. So this should be a release blocker.

For Fufluns we should stick to gfx_sdl instead of using gfx_sd2. But either
way, the build system will need to be modified and 64 bit versions of
frameworks will have to be installed on the build machine. I don't have
access to a Mac currently.

I noticed that the precompiled SDL2 and SDL2_mixer frameworks from
libsdl.org are 64-bit only.
The minimum target supported by SDL 2 is OS 10.5 for x86 and OS 10.6 for
x86_64.
SDL 1.2 supports OS 10.4+ for x86 and OS 10.6+ for x86_64. (Well, we
require 10.4+, but SDL 1.2 might even work on earlier versions)

After Fufluns we should switch to gfx_sdl2 on Mac (indeed, on all OSes
except Android).
I suggest that we provide a 64 bit-only gfx_sdl2 build as standard, for OS
10.6+, and can keep a 32 bit gfx_sdl build available for people stuck on
10.4-5 and on OS 10.6 machines without 64-bit CPUs (although there are
probably zero of them). Apparently OS 10.6 was the last version to support
32 bit CPUs.

The way Mac builds currently work is pretty weird: 32 bit builds of SDL and
SDL_mixer are provided in mac/frameworks.tar.gz, but you *also* need to
download and install the framework. mac/frameworks.tar.gz has the huge
OpenGL header files removed to reduce size. I suggest that for gfx_sdl2 and
64 bit gfx_sdl we copy in the frameworks from the system location, and
remove the headers, without including a copy of the frameworks ourselves.
frameworks.tar.gz also used a custom build of SDL_mixer to fix a MIDI bug,
but that's now fixed upstream.
I think maybe it also removed the symlinks, so that packaging for Mac from
Windows would work?