[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/10244 Mouse support in the Items menu.

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Thu Mar 29 20:22:22 PDT 2018

On Thursday, March 29, 2018, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 March 2018 at 04:01, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 6:59 PM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> All this additional mouse support is very nice!
>>>
>>> But in the Items menu it seems very unnatural that you have to click
>>> twice to select Done/Drop/Autosort or to swap an item to a new location.
>>> Double clicking is only necessary to select an item (use or start
>>> swapping); the extra click shouldn't be necessary for disambiguation in
>>> other cases.
>>>

>> Excellent point. I can fix those things. :)
>>

>>> Also, after you double click on an item to select it, right clicking
>>> should probably deselect it, just as Esc does.
>>>

>> That is also a great idea.
>>

>>> Actually, unlike the other menus, right click doesn't exit the Items
>>> menu.
>>> I was initially concerned about right clicking anywhere closing menus,
>>> unlike how menus behave in Custom, but I guess it's not that important to
>>> be able to select menu items by right clicking. I see from your work on
>>> Items that menus which require selecting - Items, Shops, Equip - can easily
>>> be made to work with left click only (which is necessary on touch devices
>>> anyway)
>>>

>> Yes, I really like right-click to close on non-scrolling menus, and
>> non-modal menus that don't take up the whole screen, but on something that
>> scrolls like save slots or items, I think right drag to scroll is
>> important, especially for touch, since that will be a two-finger-drag to
>> scroll.
>>

> Would it be a bad idea to have both right-click to close and right-drag to
> scroll in the same menu? (It does sound dubious...) I can imagine it
> working worse with touch than mouse controls.

I think on a non-fullscreen menu it would make sense. The right click close
would just work outside the scroll area.

>>> Oh, picksave/load is another menu where right click doesn't close.
>>> (Also, I was interested to see the scrolling by right-dragging in
>>> action, but it seems to be pretty broken)
>>>

>> Yeah, I don't have it quite right yet, and I might not be able to get it
>> right until I sliceify the save slot picker.
>>

> Yes, I guess you really need pixel-granularity of scrolling.

Yes, that will help a lot. Also important is storing a dragging flag when
readmouse.drag_dist exceeds the threshold for the first time, making sure
right-mouse click doesn't change focus when a dragging is happening, and
disabling left-click selection when a dragging is happening