[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/9289 Update whatsnew.txt to note that you can now browse for items rather tha

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Wed Sep 6 08:26:22 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 6:51 AM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is really nice!
> I didn't realise that there were so many places in Custom where you select
> an item. This makes me realise I made a mistake in the dwimmercrafty
> highlights.
>
> Looking further ahead, what about grouping or reordering data records for
> easier browsing (as was being discussed on SS)? OK, reordering them can be
> accommodated in ThingBrowser easily, but not grouping them. I guess we may
> need an alternative (non-grid) view for that. Although conceivably we could
> have categories listed as things, which are replaced with to their contents
> when you select them (but then how can you collaspe them?). With colours
> used to show the original grouping. Or even enter ThingBrowser recursively.
> Or something like System Preferences: https://images.techhive.com/
> images/article/2013/10/mavericks_prefs_categories-we-
> dont-need-em-100065975-orig.png
> Or tiled icons with groups: https://www.tenforums.com/
> attachments/tutorials/21877d1434704983-add-remove-folders-pc-windows-10-a-
> withreg.png

Yes, I think there are a lot of possibilities, like sorting my name instead
of ID number, or sorting by some kind of arbitrary user-defined
reorganization. Categories could be an option for that. We could add a new
lump, or a new node in general.reld for user-defined sorting and/or
categorization of generically browseable things.

I also want to make it possible to optionally jump to the appropriate
editor from the thing browser, and use a ThingBrowser as an intermediate
step when enter_space_click on an editable attack, enemy, textbox, etc.

I was also toying with the idea of using a ThingBrowser when you first go
into an editor from the main menu, rather than going directly to record 0
(which honestly is almost never going to be the record you actually want to
work on)

> I notice that the scroll wheel moves the selection up or down, which isn't
> how it behaves in other menus, where it scrolls the menu view up/down. For
> that matter End and Home don't work.

I can fix both of those.

I was also planning to make it possible to type to jump to a match-- but
now I am thinking it might be better to type to re-filter the list to only
display matches; for example, type "foo" in the thingbrowser and have it
hide everything that does not contain "foo" (I guess I can do both, with a
hotkey for one)

> Unsurprisingly, plankmenu controls aren't really done yet. I'm interested
> in rewriting plank_menu_move_cursor to better find the nearest plank. Then
> I can remove the start_parent argument from a bunch of functions. It seems
> to be just a kludge for the poor behaviour of plank_menu_move_cursor.

Yeah, I think you are right. You are quite welcome to make any changes to
plank_menu_move_cursor() I don't think I'll be touching the plankmenu code
too much right now as I focus on writing more thingbrowser subclasses for
browsing other types of things.