[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/9289 Update whatsnew.txt to note that you can now browse for items rather tha

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 06:51:25 PDT 2017

This is really nice!
I didn't realise that there were so many places in Custom where you select
an item. This makes me realise I made a mistake in the dwimmercrafty
highlights.

Looking further ahead, what about grouping or reordering data records for
easier browsing (as was being discussed on SS)? OK, reordering them can be
accommodated in ThingBrowser easily, but not grouping them. I guess we may
need an alternative (non-grid) view for that. Although conceivably we could
have categories listed as things, which are replaced with to their contents
when you select them (but then how can you collaspe them?). With colours
used to show the original grouping. Or even enter ThingBrowser recursively.
Or something like System Preferences:
https://images.techhive.com/images/article/2013/10/mavericks_prefs_categories-we-dont-need-em-100065975-orig.png
Or tiled icons with groups:
https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/21877d1434704983-add-remove-folders-pc-windows-10-a-withreg.png

I notice that the scroll wheel moves the selection up or down, which isn't
how it behaves in other menus, where it scrolls the menu view up/down. For
that matter End and Home don't work. Unsurprisingly, plankmenu controls
aren't really done yet. I'm interested in rewriting plank_menu_move_cursor
to better find the nearest plank. Then I can remove the start_parent
argument from a bunch of functions. It seems to be just a kludge for the
poor behaviour of plank_menu_move_cursor.