[Ohrrpgce] Almost time for etheldreme stable release!

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 18:20:22 PST 2017

Ah, I see I was mistakenly counting the 3 months from Dwimmercrafty+1
rather than Dwimmercrafty!

What counts as something that "can't wait" for F? Only things to fix bugs
or backcompat problems? Or does it include changes that other work depends
on, and would result in too much being done in a branch?
For how long before a release do we want to avoid major changes? Sitting
around in nightlies is no substitute for testing with release candidates.
People only download new nightlies rarely. I'd say how long to wait depends
on how significant the change is rather than a hard cut-off.
Also, we can keep things out of the release either by not checking them
into wip (eg by using git branches) or by branching etheldreme early in
svn. I think it's easier not to branch stable releases long ahead.

I keep jumping between working on so many different things that I can't
decide what to do next.

The biggest things I had been planning to work on in the next weeks was
changing the graphics file format, replacing the spriteset browser, and to
convert battles to slices.
That would allow raising the sprite size limits, and possibly the 16-color
limit (with additional work in the sprite editor) without depending on the
new animation system.
However it looks like I'll have little time to work on the OHR for the next
10 days anyway, so it's all moot.

More realistically, I've been doing lots of work on slices recently, most
of which isn't exposed yet. I'll think about whether it's ready to expose.
And I wanted to work on equip slots.

A general summary of stuff I'm actively working on but haven't merged yet:
-line slices
-template slices (hidden slices which are ignored for all purposes)
-refactoring embed_text_codes, so that you can use embed codes in text
slices
-map editor improvements

And some stale stuff that's close to mergeable:
-nicer looking minimaps either using scale_surface (which require 32 bit
color) or an alternative (which doesn't)
-joystick rewrite, to fix our utterly broken joystick handling (so little
risk of breaking anything by merging it)
-a color replacement tool for backdrops, which REPLACES the 'disable
palette colors for import' menu.

BTW, don't forget to update this out-of-date whatsnew line:
    * You can now browse for items rather than typing in their ID
      numbers [James]