[Ohrrpgce] Almost time for etheldreme stable release!

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Sat Nov 11 17:28:33 PST 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ah, I see I was mistakenly counting the 3 months from Dwimmercrafty+1
> rather than Dwimmercrafty!
>
> What counts as something that "can't wait" for F? Only things to fix bugs
> or backcompat problems? Or does it include changes that other work depends
> on, and would result in too much being done in a branch?

I would say any of the above. Basically is there anything you think is
better to merge now rather than to wait to merge until after etheldreme?

> For how long before a release do we want to avoid major changes? Sitting
> around in nightlies is no substitute for testing with release candidates.
> People only download new nightlies rarely. I'd say how long to wait depends
> on how significant the change is rather than a hard cut-off.
> Also, we can keep things out of the release either by not checking them
> into wip (eg by using git branches) or by branching etheldreme early in
> svn. I think it's easier not to branch stable releases long ahead.

How about if we aim for a RC around the 18th and a release around the 25th
if all goes well?

I know that is a short RC testing range, but I don't think a longer range
will actually result in a lot more testing

I also agree that it is better not to branch the stable release long ahead.
I think I didn't branch the dwimmercrafty release until the day of the
release, and that worked fine for me.

> I keep jumping between working on so many different things that I can't
> decide what to do next.
>
> The biggest things I had been planning to work on in the next weeks was
> changing the graphics file format, replacing the spriteset browser, and to
> convert battles to slices.
> That would allow raising the sprite size limits, and possibly the 16-color
> limit (with additional work in the sprite editor) without depending on the
> new animation system.
> However it looks like I'll have little time to work on the OHR for the
> next 10 days anyway, so it's all moot.

That sounds like a lot of work for just 10 days, even if you had nothing
else to do in the world! :)

> More realistically, I've been doing lots of work on slices recently, most
> of which isn't exposed yet. I'll think about whether it's ready to expose.
> And I wanted to work on equip slots.
>
> A general summary of stuff I'm actively working on but haven't merged yet:
> -line slices
> -template slices (hidden slices which are ignored for all purposes)
> -refactoring embed_text_codes, so that you can use embed codes in text
> slices
> -map editor improvements
>
> And some stale stuff that's close to mergeable:
> -nicer looking minimaps either using scale_surface (which require 32 bit
> color) or an alternative (which doesn't)
> -joystick rewrite, to fix our utterly broken joystick handling (so little
> risk of breaking anything by merging it)
> -a color replacement tool for backdrops, which REPLACES the 'disable
> palette colors for import' menu.

Those last two especially sound like great things to sneak in before
etheldreme. :)

> BTW, don't forget to update this out-of-date whatsnew line:
>     * You can now browse for items rather than typing in their ID
>       numbers [James]

I'm not sure what I need to change there... Maybe I phrased it badly?

----
James