[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/8712 sliceedit: Allow using any positive lookup code, plus you can edit a loo

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue May 2 21:05:59 PDT 2017

On 3 May 2017 at 02:52, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> I definitely have mixed feelings about this one.

I definitely agree that the interface isn't ideal, but something like

> Being able to type in the name right on the slice detail editor seems very
> convenient.
>
> On the other hand, twice already I have accidentally backspaced away a
> name and typed a new one for the same code, when I was actually trying to
> create a new one (both times this was because I had copy-pasted a slice
> that already had a lookup code)

Hmm, maybe what we want is not the ability to edit the name of a lookup,
but instead to type in the name of a lookup code - either a new one (added
automatically) or an existing one (with autocompletions shown so that you
can what's happening). Changing the name of an existing code isn't
something you would do often!

This is actually how I want entering animation names to work. (I've been
meaning to write an email about animation names, because I'm undecided
about them and it's been holding me up)
So if I implement that editing interface for animation names, it could be
reused for lookup codes. They are a bit different though; I'm not going to
allow duplicate or empty animation names.

> Also, every time I want to delete a lookup code, I hit backspace, deleting
> a few letters from the end of the name, then go "Opps!" and re-type them,
> and then press enter so I can delete the lookup code.

That doesn't actually happen every time, but only the last thing you did
was to edit the name of a lookup code. But I'll change it so that backspace
goes back to operating on the ID instead of the lookup whenever you
deselect the lookup code menu item, instead of using a static variable.