[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/8712 sliceedit: Allow using any positive lookup code, plus you can edit a loo

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Wed May 3 09:08:33 PDT 2017

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 May 2017 at 02:52, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>
>> I definitely have mixed feelings about this one.
>>

> I definitely agree that the interface isn't ideal, but something like
>

>> Being able to type in the name right on the slice detail editor seems
>> very convenient.
>>
>> On the other hand, twice already I have accidentally backspaced away a
>> name and typed a new one for the same code, when I was actually trying to
>> create a new one (both times this was because I had copy-pasted a slice
>> that already had a lookup code)
>>

> Hmm, maybe what we want is not the ability to edit the name of a lookup,
> but instead to type in the name of a lookup code - either a new one (added
> automatically) or an existing one (with autocompletions shown so that you
> can what's happening). Changing the name of an existing code isn't
> something you would do often!
>
> This is actually how I want entering animation names to work. (I've been
> meaning to write an email about animation names, because I'm undecided
> about them and it's been holding me up)
> So if I implement that editing interface for animation names, it could be
> reused for lookup codes. They are a bit different though; I'm not going to
> allow duplicate or empty animation names.

That is pretty cool! I like the idea of a hybrid search/add. It probably
needs a confirmation step when you complete an add, so you don't
accidentally litter your list with mistaken typing

Also might be reasonable to consider it a bug that the slice name editor
allows duplicates.

>> Also, every time I want to delete a lookup code, I hit backspace,
>> deleting a few letters from the end of the name, then go "Opps!" and
>> re-type them, and then press enter so I can delete the lookup code.
>>

> That doesn't actually happen every time, but only the last thing you did
> was to edit the name of a lookup code. But I'll change it so that backspace
> goes back to operating on the ID instead of the lookup whenever you
> deselect the lookup code menu item, instead of using a static variable.
>

>> Not saying I want this reverted, just saying that it is taking some
>> getting used to. I still think it is probably a net gain in usability
>>
>> ---
>> James
>>

>> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 9:30 AM, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> teeemcee
>>> 2017-05-01 09:30:47 -0700 (Mon, 01 May 2017)