[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/8986 Add a global toggle for mouse menu support in Game (the /mouse/mouse_men

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 21:39:20 PDT 2017

On 9 July 2017 at 02:47, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, July 8, 2017, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure, maybe... Seems like pretty unusual UI, although I think I
>> have seen it in a couple games.
>>
>> I'll try it as a toggleable option, and see how it feels.
>
> Mostly I am thinking about how in non-game apps you can bring down a mene
> from the top bar, or right click to pop up a menu, and if you don't want it
> after all, you click outside it to get rid of it

Yes, I was wrong, it's actually incredibly common for small pop-up menus of
all sorts.

>> In the case of larger menus like Items or Spells, the bounds of the menu
>> should include all parts of it that are displayed, not just the menu items
>> (in case you try to click on something that isn't clickable), so only a
>> small area around the outside would close the menu. It might not be very
>> intuitive.
>>

> Oh, I definitely didn't intend to have that for items or equip.
>
> For most special screens, I want a [X] button to appear in the top right
> corner. It would only show up if mouse support is enabled for special
> screens.

So, you don't think we should have click-outside to escape all
non-fullscreen menus? Couldn't we support that anyway even if it's not the
main way to exit? If not, which ones, then? What about small ones like
Order, Team, Quit, Rename? We should be consistent, but I don't see a clear
cutoff. A multichoice() menu is not dissimilar to e.g. the Inn menu.