[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/8986 Add a global toggle for mouse menu support in Game (the /mouse/mouse_men

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Sun Jul 9 09:33:28 PDT 2017

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 July 2017 at 02:47, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>

>> On Saturday, July 8, 2017, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure, maybe... Seems like pretty unusual UI, although I think I
>>> have seen it in a couple games.
>>>
>>> I'll try it as a toggleable option, and see how it feels.
>>
>> Mostly I am thinking about how in non-game apps you can bring down a mene
>> from the top bar, or right click to pop up a menu, and if you don't want it
>> after all, you click outside it to get rid of it
>>

> Yes, I was wrong, it's actually incredibly common for small pop-up menus
> of all sorts.
>

>>> In the case of larger menus like Items or Spells, the bounds of the menu
>>> should include all parts of it that are displayed, not just the menu items
>>> (in case you try to click on something that isn't clickable), so only a
>>> small area around the outside would close the menu. It might not be very
>>> intuitive.
>>>

>> Oh, I definitely didn't intend to have that for items or equip.
>>
>> For most special screens, I want a [X] button to appear in the top right
>> corner. It would only show up if mouse support is enabled for special
>> screens.
>>

> So, you don't think we should have click-outside to escape all
> non-fullscreen menus? Couldn't we support that anyway even if it's not the
> main way to exit? If not, which ones, then? What about small ones like
> Order, Team, Quit, Rename? We should be consistent, but I don't see a clear
> cutoff. A multichoice() menu is not dissimilar to e.g. the Inn menu.

I just meant not using it for full-screen stuff like item, spells, and
equip-- but even those are not certain to be full-screen if resolution has
been changed, so it probably makes sense for everything that can be
cancelled (and off the top of my head, the only menu I can think of that
can't be cancelled is a textbox's choice box)