[Ohrrpgce] possible palette corruption in the sprite editor in recent nighlies?

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Mon May 2 12:49:07 PDT 2016

On 3 May 2016 at 05:26, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> Quoted from IRC:
>
> -----
>
> KFHarlockheya james
> Bob_the_Hamster Ahoy!KFHarlockbad news - i experienced something of a
> bug, maybe similar to the problem idontknow had
> Bob_the_Hamster tries to rememberKFHarlockif this is a good time, i can
> describe it
> Bob_the_Hamster data corruption of some kind, wasn't it?
> Bob_the_Hamster Sure, go aheadKFHarlockno data corruption here, but....
> -- ok well, i was drawing a medium enemy graphic, and as i usually do, i
> copied it and pasted a new copy of it in the slot under where i was
> drawing; i do this at the start of every stage in the drawing so if i don't
> like it, i can go backKFHarlockwell, at first i was using a pre-existing
> palette, palette 3 i believe. at some point, i wanted to change a shade, so
> i used alt-c and alt-v to paste that palette to palette 16. this was BEFORE
> i made a copy of the enemy sprite (sorry about the chronology, i just
> remembered this detail)KFHarlockin any case, i back out when finished
> drawing and realize that, in the "draw medium enemy graphics" screen, the
> top sprite uses palette 16, where i had changed one of the shades, whereas
> the bottom one was also set to palette 16 but the shade i had changed was a
> totally different color. i took a screenshot of this. i backed out, saved
> (maybe dumb),KFHarlock went back in, and the wack-a-doo color was now in
> BOTH of the graphics. in other words, it had somehow overwritten the change
> i had made to the palette with this random change it had made somehow.
> KFHarlocki changed the palette color back, backed out, it had still only
> changed it for one of the graphics, but then i backed out to the main menu,
> went back in and now it had changed both of them again (but this time to
> the proper color)
> Bob_the_Hamster That is very strange!
> Bob_the_Hamster Was this in callipygous or in a more recent nightly?
> KFHarlockidontknow said something very similar happened to him and he
> lost every formation except 0, but in my case i didn't have any other
> formations besides that one, so unfortunately i can't speak to that part of
> it :(KFHarlockit was in a nightly -- 20160430 gfx_direct_x+fb music_sdl
> FeenicksYeah, I just had a similar issue: imported a sprite in, imported
> another sprite in that had a different palette but put that palette in the
> same slot as the first one, and when I exited out of the sprite editor both
> versions of the palette existed at once.
> Bob_the_Hamster I think TMC will definitely want to know about that,
> because of the changes he has made to the sprite editor after callipygous
> released
> Bob_the_Hamster Perhaps it is a problem with the palette cache (which I
> unfortunately don't understand very well)
> Bob_the_Hamster I think the palette cache is stupposed to be disabled (or
> [...]

Not related to Idontknow's bug. This shouldn't be too hard to track down.
The spriteset browser caches both the visible sprites and palettes for all
the visible spritesets, and the sprite editor is meant to pass back its
edits and I likely mixed up that part, and possibly its interaction with
the palette cache. Actually, I was about to rewrite that anyway, but got
distracted. And I also rewrote the palette cache recently but I didn't
check it in because there's a horrible segfault in it somewhere :)