[Ohrrpgce] What do we need for the callipygous release?

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 16:19:01 PDT 2015

On 29 July 2015 at 03:20, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> What features/fixes do we need callipygous?
>
> I was hoping for a fix to the linux input-stuck bug, but I wouldn't hod up
> the release for it, since I seem to be the only one complaining, and I have
> an adequate work-around.

What workaround are you using?
I think the easiest workaround is to disable IME (enable_inputtext) by
default under X11 (forcing a US keyboard layout when typing text). A more
sophisticated workaround might be possible in future.

I would like to have gfx_directx support the same screen-resizing that
> gfx_sdl does already, and I know we still have a bug in how custom resizes
> with gfx_sdl.
>
> I think there was also a bug on gfx_directx where showing the mouse cursor
> disabled mouse input entirely.

Yes, I want to make those changes to gfx_directx, and I'm not expecting it
to be much work.

> Is there anything else that is a must-have before callipygous? Maybe the
> default-screen-size stuff you are working on tmc?

I can check that in soon, it's virtually done.
I was also thinking about exposing the screen resolution setting as an
experimental feature. It would also be possible to switch backdrops over to
the new (already implemented!) .rgfx fileformat, thereby allowing larger
backdrops so that running at a higher resolution isn't so broken. Should be
a low amount of work, but not worth holding up Callipygous for.

> ---
> James

I went through my TODO list and looked for the more important or urgent
bugs. I had completely forgotten that there seem to be a number of games
which are broken in nightlies because of changes to slice behaviour, which
is quite serious! That is the main blocker to release.

Callipygous TODO
Bugs:
-gfx_directx: off-by-one in putmouse
-gfx_directx: fix unhidemousecursor
-either fix the F5 key in slice editor (r7266) to match the helpfile, or
change the helpfile
-fix two off-by-one bugs in battle backdrop animation ticks
-*backwards non-automatic shrink animation can crash
-the flowing water slices (plus parallax?) in char's lovely home are broken
-fix Karate Fight slice layering bug on gameoverscreen: now appears behind
the UI
-slice errors now appearing in old games. like 'waitslice, already deleted
slice' in Karate Fight
-double fade out in screensaver3.rpg
-The Long Journey Home (Camdog) seems to be broken now: you find the same
item in all solar systems
-Suspicious pauses and script errors in Sephy's Angel Whispers
-fix one-time-usable npcs not disappearing (troll over)
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112003#112003
-apparently truesight in SoJ now kills everything in 1 hit (still?)
-fix shop price wrapping (fixed???)
-transparency prompt only sometimes when importing backdrops confusing.
Instead also prompt for transparency when importing 8 bit bmp with
different palette. And better documentation
-*can't scroll to end of 16col palettes menu
-bad fps setting interaction with vsync, should tweak dowait a little
-report of live-previewing not working on windows
-Windows+gfx_sdl: resizing Custom's window doesn't work

Features:
-window size options
-Finish improvements to crashed Custom recovery (Remember original file and
path)
-FINALLY add new keypress (or whatever) command, (also fixes keyval not
accepting joystick scancodes)
-unhide mouse cursor in script debugger, scripterr, notification, and help
screens