[Ohrrpgce] better palette options

David Gowers (kampu) 00ai99 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 05:38:27 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 1:40 AM, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>> > Then the question arises of what to do when chaining to another
>> > animation: should the saved state be overwritten? Both possibilities
>> > could be useful; maybe another parameter to 'end' would even be
>> > justified.
>> This seems hard. I'll poke around a few different models and tests to
>> see what comes out.
>
> Are we talking about support for chaining of animations built right into
> the animation itself?

Mainly this.

> Or are we talking about switching animations as a result of an external
> trigger like a plotscripting command?
Not sure what that would look like; that had been part of my model of
game animations for a while, but I haven't figured out any remotely
elegant implementation.
The best I deciphered there was a message-waiting mechanism (on anim
side) and message sending (on script side)

> Hypotheticlly suppose I have a side-scroller where the hero has a
> 4-frame walk animation. When I press and hold the attack button while
> walking, I want her to switch to to the sprite set where she charges an
> energy canon, and when it is fully charged, I want to change her sprite
> set to the one with the fully-charged canon.
> I want to keep my place in
> the 4-frame walk animation when these changes occur.

It sounds like

stored := push animation(current)
set animation gfxset (current, charging)
set animation timeout (current, chargeticks)

# per tick, detect current anim timeout and..
set animation gfxset (current, charged)
set animation timeout (-1)
# or detect button release and...
replace animation (current, pop animation(stored))

The current GIT head of nohrio shows (somewhat) what might be required
to support this:

http://gitorious.org/nohrio/nohrio/blobs/master/tools/lumpdefs.yaml

> Right now, I would just script the frame-changes for the animation
> manually. (in fact I already do exactly this in Bell of Chaos for the
> walk/crawl animations, but because they are only 3-frame and involve a
> walking-speed-cap-change I doubt it is even noticeable)
>
> Would the chaining of animations you are talking about be relevant to
> that situation? Or is it some other purpose entirely?

That was mainly TMC's idea, but as he hasn't responded..
It was mainly internal, but I've begun adjusting it to suit external
interaction better.