[Ohrrpgce] better palette options

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Tue Oct 26 08:17:14 PDT 2010

> > Hypotheticlly suppose I have a side-scroller where the hero has a
> > 4-frame walk animation. When I press and hold the attack button while
> > walking, I want her to switch to to the sprite set where she charges an
> > energy canon, and when it is fully charged, I want to change her sprite
> > set to the one with the fully-charged canon.
> > I want to keep my place in
> > the 4-frame walk animation when these changes occur.
>
> It sounds like
>
> stored := push animation(current)
> set animation gfxset (current, charging)
> set animation timeout (current, chargeticks)
>
> # per tick, detect current anim timeout and..
> set animation gfxset (current, charged)
> set animation timeout (-1)
> # or detect button release and...
> replace animation (current, pop animation(stored))

Interesting. With an interface like that I would probably not use the
feature at all. I would probably just use "replace animation" and
nothing else, since the push/pop commands and the timeout commands since
those both kinda volate Mode-View-Controller by putting "model" data
into the "view" which is going to have to be duplicated in the "model"
anyway for other reasons.

But for non-sidescrollers... maybe just making a hero or an NPC do an
"emote" in a regular RPG, I can see that interface being convenient.