[Ohrrpgce] better palette options

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Thu Oct 21 08:10:25 PDT 2010

> > Then the question arises of what to do when chaining to another
> > animation: should the saved state be overwritten? Both possibilities
> > could be useful; maybe another parameter to 'end' would even be
> > justified.
> This seems hard. I'll poke around a few different models and tests to
> see what comes out.

Are we talking about support for chaining of animations built right into
the animation itself?

Or are we talking about switching animations as a result of an external
trigger like a plotscripting command?

Hypotheticlly suppose I have a side-scroller where the hero has a
4-frame walk animation. When I press and hold the attack button while
walking, I want her to switch to to the sprite set where she charges an
energy canon, and when it is fully charged, I want to change her sprite
set to the one with the fully-charged canon. I want to keep my place in
the 4-frame walk animation when these changes occur.

Right now, I would just script the frame-changes for the animation
manually. (in fact I already do exactly this in Bell of Chaos for the
walk/crawl animations, but because they are only 3-frame and involve a
walking-speed-cap-change I doubt it is even noticeable)

Would the chaining of animations you are talking about be relevant to
that situation? Or is it some other purpose entirely?