[Dev] SVN: james/501 Math Marauders: Now saves any changes you make to the map

Brian Fisher brian at hamsterrepublic.com
Fri Apr 11 16:35:36 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com>
wrote:

> No, only if nothing exists on disk.

Right, I don't mean to clobber what's on disk, ever - I just meant you think
you'd like it if you could set things so that you could never ask for an
asset by id and get an error that it doesn't exist, cause it would always
create it for you?

If I think about "default" instead of "broken" then it doesn't bother me
> in the slightest.
>
> I more mean that my intuition says that being able to have a "default"
value would in practice be bad because it would mask problems of names and
references being wrong, and that such problems shouldn't be hidden - in fact
I've been very much on the fence about providing a "brokenreference" feature
for the same reason - the only reason it is in there because the easiest way
to fix a broken asset reference is to not crash, and get it in the editor.

Really what I'd want is something that would be an unmissable message saying
exactly what the problem is, but something that lets you continue working to
go fix it... but I don't know technically how to implement that.

That would be plenty to keep me happy for now :)

> Good, cause a bootstrapping thing is the only thing I think I'd want to
actually be implemented right now (I'm thinking I'd want brokenreference
gone, although I'm not sure...)