[Dev] SVN: james/501 Math Marauders: Now saves any changes you make to the map

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Fri Apr 11 16:41:37 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 04:35:36PM -0700, Brian Fisher wrote:
>    On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com>
>    wrote:
>
>      No, only if nothing exists on disk.
>
>    Right, I don't mean to clobber what's on disk, ever - I just meant you
>    think you'd like it if you could set things so that you could never ask
>    for an asset by id and get an error that it doesn't exist, cause it would
>    always create it for you?
>
>      If I think about "default" instead of "broken" then it doesn't bother me
>      in the slightest.
>
>    I more mean that my intuition says that being able to have a "default"
>    value would in practice be bad because it would mask problems of names and
>    references being wrong, and that such problems shouldn't be hidden - in
>    fact I've been very much on the fence about providing a "brokenreference"
>    feature for the same reason - the only reason it is in there because the
>    easiest way to fix a broken asset reference is to not crash, and get it in
>    the editor.
>
>    Really what I'd want is something that would be an unmissable message
>    saying exactly what the problem is, but something that lets you continue
>    working to go fix it... but I don't know technically how to implement
>    that.
>
>      That would be plenty to keep me happy for now :)
>
>    Good, cause a bootstrapping thing is the only thing I think I'd want to
>    actually be implemented right now (I'm thinking I'd want brokenreference
>    gone, although I'm not sure...)

Broken reference makes a lot of sense for images at least. I also found
it useful for sounds on one occasion so far (notice that I added !.ogg
to ROBOT!)

Perhaps once I see and try the bootstrapping support, that may turn out
to be everything I really need.