[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/12684 Add attacker animations "Run and Hide" and "Unhide" that work like "Jump

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Thu Jan 27 19:46:27 PST 2022

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 7:01 PM Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 03:53, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 11:25 PM Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Nice! Just what was always missing.
>>>
>>> I think that the name "Run In (unhides attacker)" which you used at
>>> first was better than "Unhide", because it does more than just unhiding.
>>> Plus I think that when the attack editor gets cleaned up the Always
>>> Hide/Unhide options would be placed right below the attack animation
>>> option, so "Attacker animation: Unhide" "Unhide attacker: YES" would be odd.
>>>

>> Good point. I'll rename it back to "Run In"
>>

>>> I noticed some glitches (bug #1234) but they're shared with Jump, so no
>>> new problem there.
>>>
>>> I was hoping that adding BattleSprite.hidden meant some code cleanup
>>> occurred, but I see you dodged the issue (something I should learn to do)
>>> and just added it in addition to the .vis mess. Which means that the
>>> following comment change you made is not correct (or at least, removes
>>> truth)
>>>

>> You caught me! Okay, I went back and did the bare minimum of cleanup to
>> make my change to that comment accurate :D
>>

> This (r12690) really is some nice cleanup, disentangling .hidden from
> .vis. But did you check everywhere that .vis was used to see they should
> check .hidden?

No I didn't check everywhere, could have missed other spots too

> In particular, I noticed that targenemycount checks just .vis, so that has
> some significant consequences: previously if all an enemies jumped it would
> count as being Alone, now not. I'm not sure if that's a bug or a feature,
> maybe it needs a backcompat or preference bit.

I think the old behavior was a bug. Definitely unintentional.

> More significantly battle_meters_can_advance and turn_mode_time_passage
> now don't advance time if all targets are hidden, which is game breaking.

Oop! Yeah, that one sounds important to fix!
Hmmm. does that mean it would only break when all heroes and all enemies
jumped at the same time? That would be rare.
Either way, I have added it to my todo list to test and fix

> Also I noticed reset_enemy_state doesn't reset .hidden, so transmog used
> to undo Jump, but now it doesn't. Also a bug-feature? I didn't go through
> all uses of .vis.

I didn't realize that transmog used to reset jump. I guess I had never
tested transmog mid-jump-- but I would consider the new behavior a bugfix.
I did intentionally avoid resetting hidden on transmogrification, figuring
that sometimes you would want an enemy to hide, and then return in a
different form.

I better review all of the .vis uses just to be complete.