[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/12684 Add attacker animations "Run and Hide" and "Unhide" that work like "Jump

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:01:23 PST 2022

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 03:53, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 11:25 PM Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Nice! Just what was always missing.
>>
>> I think that the name "Run In (unhides attacker)" which you used at first
>> was better than "Unhide", because it does more than just unhiding. Plus I
>> think that when the attack editor gets cleaned up the Always Hide/Unhide
>> options would be placed right below the attack animation option, so
>> "Attacker animation: Unhide" "Unhide attacker: YES" would be odd.
>>

> Good point. I'll rename it back to "Run In"
>

>> I noticed some glitches (bug #1234) but they're shared with Jump, so no
>> new problem there.
>>
>> I was hoping that adding BattleSprite.hidden meant some code cleanup
>> occurred, but I see you dodged the issue (something I should learn to do)
>> and just added it in addition to the .vis mess. Which means that the
>> following comment change you made is not correct (or at least, removes
>> truth)
>>

> You caught me! Okay, I went back and did the bare minimum of cleanup to
> make my change to that comment accurate :D

This (r12690) really is some nice cleanup, disentangling .hidden from .vis.
But did you check everywhere that .vis was used to see they should check
.hidden? In particular, I noticed that targenemycount checks just .vis, so
that has some significant consequences: previously if all an enemies jumped
it would count as being Alone, now not. I'm not sure if that's a bug or a
feature, maybe it needs a backcompat or preference bit. More significantly
battle_meters_can_advance and turn_mode_time_passage now don't advance time
if all targets are hidden, which is game breaking. Also I noticed
reset_enemy_state doesn't reset .hidden, so transmog used to undo Jump, but
now it doesn't. Also a bug-feature? I didn't go through all uses of .vis.

>    vis as bool   'Roughly, but not exactly, visibility:
>>                  'For combatants: Is alive (or dying interruptted) and
>> visible (didn't jump).
>>                  '  Gets set to YES while an enemy is performing an
>> on-death attack.
>> -                '  Gets set to NO while it's dissolving or fleeing after
>> death, or
>> -                '  or if jumped off-screen
>> +                '  Gets set to NO while it's dissolving or fleeing after
>> death
>>
>> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 at 04:15, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> james
>>> 2022-01-15 07:15:33 -0800 (Sat, 15 Jan 2022)