[Ohrrpgce] Hróðvitnir blockers?

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 15:51:48 PDT 2020

Unfortunately I didn't foresee that I would spend almost no time working on
the engine over the last two months. In hindsight we should just have
released two months ago.
You might be pleased to know I almost, but didn't, merge my huge incomplete
branch for better text rendering and font support last night! But it's
still incomplete enough that it hardly adds any new features.

That missing sprite component bug (#1137) really needs fixing.
I need to file a bunch of bugs (eg from crash reports, which I'm really not
keeping on top of), but none of them are blockers... except maybe "(BUG)
KILLSCRIPTTHREAD: Inappropriate call" which has been reported at least 4
times by different people; worth prioritising.

I know this will make you *super nervous* but I would like to make gfx_sdl2
the default for Hróðvitnir. I am working on the gfx_sdl2 zoom-changing bug
right now, and will fix the Mac+gfx_sdl2 bug #1171 next.
SDL 2 and SDL_mixer 2 fix many problems but introduce no new bugs I know
about aside from those two and
https://github.com/ohrrpgce/ohrrpgce/issues/1175.
See
https://github.com/ohrrpgce/ohrrpgce/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Agfx_sdl
https://github.com/ohrrpgce/ohrrpgce/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Amusic_sdl
(sigh, no support for OR queries when searching the issue tracker... I
still miss bugzilla)
There are also other problems not filed on bugzilla, especially the very
bad fullscreen handling in SDL 1.2 which ruins all my monitor settings
every time I accidentally fullscreen.

In fact, a number of people have been using gfx_sdl2 as their main backend
for up to two years now, so most of the gfx_sdl2 bugs were found and fixed
already last year. I don't even know anyone who still uses gfx_sdl on Mac,
they all migrated to gfx_sdl2 because of the numerous bugs.

Actually, a main reason for switching to gfx_sdl2 is to make sure it gets
enough testing that it can confidently be used for Axe Cop, because I want
to use the new SDL2 Controller API, which will finally give us full gamepad
support, which RMZ is desperate to have. So better to switch to gfx_sdl2
now rather than in a month.