[Ohrrpgce] Wiki skins

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 06:37:51 PDT 2019

The wiki still has only one skin installed, Monobook, which hasn't been the
default MediaWiki skin since 2010! It turns out that although the MediaWiki
tarball includes multiple skins, "if you have downloaded MediaWiki from Git
or from a nightly version, or if you want to install additional skins, you
will need to separately download the code for that skin or skins."
The default is Vector, and it does look a bit better. Could we get Vector
installed and made the default? There are a lot of other interesting skins
available too. Installing a skin seems pretty simple, could I install and
try out others?

I'm interested in retheming the wiki for a more unique look, maybe a darker
background is feasible without clashing too much with colours on existing
pages.

Also could this setting be turned on so users can customise the CSS they
see? That will make it easier to experiment and for people to contribute
suggested changes:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgAllowUserCss