[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/10193 Add a .by_user member to the HeroPathing object and use it to distinguis

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Mon Mar 26 17:26:34 PDT 2018

On Monday, March 26, 2018, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a bit concerned by:
>
> +   IF rank = 0 ANDALSO gam.hero_pathing(rank).by_user THEN
> +    'Only the leader activates NPCs, and only when doing built-in user
> pathing
>
> Other commands for scripted hero movement don't have any affect on
> touch-NPC activation. And I assume pathing a touch-activated NPC past the
> hero doesn't prevent its activation either. Why should hero pathfinding be
> exceptional? If people don't want touch activation to occur, they could
> explicitly suspend that activation instead*.
> And anyway, you only disabled the touch-NPC-activation check in
> update_hero_pathfinding, but didn't disable the check in the NPC movement
> code.

No need for concern, actually :) That code you quoted there actually has
nothing at all to do with touch NPC activation. That is "use" NPC
activation when using mouse/touch controls.

It happens to strongly resemble touch activation, but is a separate thing.
I can add a comment there to clarify that.

> * In fact, there is no command to suspend NPC activation, except for
> "suspend obstruction" and "set npc usable"! The lack of a "suspend npc
> activation" command is a pretty huge oversight.

That is something I ought to add. Thanks for the reminder :)