[Ohrrpgce] Fufluns released! ...

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Fri Mar 23 15:01:50 PDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 24 March 2018 at 03:42, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree that adding a textbox option does sound best. Are you thinking an
>> option to change the anchor/align? or pixel positioning or both? I think I
>> would be inclined towards adding those positioning options in a way that is
>> similar to what is available in a slice, but not going as far as actually
>> saving slice data in the current textbox format.
>>

> Both, I suppose. Definitely want pixel position. Alignment isn't strictly
> necessary if you can position, but it's convenient. Don't need separate
> alignment and anchoring, just combined align+anchor.

That sounds reasonable. I can implement that.

>> I am fine with leaving the default positioning top-left
>>

> I'm also OK with top-left if it has to be, although it seems suboptimal
> for backdrops smaller than the screen - you're unlikely to want them there.
> If you increase the game resolution (and especially if you used backdrops
> as portraits), the textboxes move to the center but the backdrops don't.
>
> But actually on further thought I realised the default position is NOT
> top-left, see below.
>
> Oh! Another thing: if the backdrop isn't as large as the screen and isn't
> transparent, it would be good to have an option to cover the rest of the
> screen with a solid colour.
>

>> As for "show backdrop" I could add convenience arguments that would
>> change the anchor/align of the backdrop slice.
>>

> Those convenience arguments would be very nice. However I note that
> current behaviour is that "show backdrop" (and also textbox backdrops)
> don't change the position/alignment of the backdrop slice, so for
> backcompat we ought to keep that behaviour... however it's a very strange
> default to have and will cause heaps of annoyance if alignment arguments to
> showbackdrop and textbox backdrops are added. Imagine: you change one
> backdrop to use some other alignment and now you have to make sure that you
> either manually change the alignment back to top-left afterwards, or change
> followup textboxes/showbackdrop calls to explicitly specify top-left. That
> would be dreadfully annoying!
>
> So maybe we need a backcompat bitset to make textboxes and showbackdrop
> reset the backdrop position to top-left 0,0 by default instead of keeping
> the previous position.

Hmmm... I didn't think of that, but you are right. That would be a
reasonable backcompat bit.

So both textbox backdrop position and script backdrop position would
default to either same-as-previous with the bit off, or top left corner
with the bit on.

I can work on that also.

Actually though, none of this sounds like a release blocker to me, just a
feature that isn't as complete as we would like it to be, not a bug or a
breakage.