[Ohrrpgce] Fufluns released! ...

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 14:41:27 PDT 2018

On 24 March 2018 at 03:42, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> I agree that adding a textbox option does sound best. Are you thinking an
> option to change the anchor/align? or pixel positioning or both? I think I
> would be inclined towards adding those positioning options in a way that is
> similar to what is available in a slice, but not going as far as actually
> saving slice data in the current textbox format.

Both, I suppose. Definitely want pixel position. Alignment isn't strictly
necessary if you can position, but it's convenient. Don't need separate
alignment and anchoring, just combined align+anchor.

> I am fine with leaving the default positioning top-left

I'm also OK with top-left if it has to be, although it seems suboptimal for
backdrops smaller than the screen - you're unlikely to want them there.
If you increase the game resolution (and especially if you used backdrops
as portraits), the textboxes move to the center but the backdrops don't.

But actually on further thought I realised the default position is NOT
top-left, see below.

Oh! Another thing: if the backdrop isn't as large as the screen and isn't
transparent, it would be good to have an option to cover the rest of the
screen with a solid colour.

> As for "show backdrop" I could add convenience arguments that would change
> the anchor/align of the backdrop slice.

Those convenience arguments would be very nice. However I note that current
behaviour is that "show backdrop" (and also textbox backdrops) don't change
the position/alignment of the backdrop slice, so for backcompat we ought to
keep that behaviour... however it's a very strange default to have and will
cause heaps of annoyance if alignment arguments to showbackdrop and textbox
backdrops are added. Imagine: you change one backdrop to use some other
alignment and now you have to make sure that you either manually change the
alignment back to top-left afterwards, or change followup
textboxes/showbackdrop calls to explicitly specify top-left. That would be
dreadfully annoying!

So maybe we need a backcompat bitset to make textboxes and showbackdrop
reset the backdrop position to top-left 0,0 by default instead of keeping
the previous position.