[Ohrrpgce] Fufluns stabilization?

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 20:42:58 PST 2018

"Must-merge" is such an emotional phrasing!

The problems with the spriteset editor are:
-you can't import or export spritesets. This is definitely a blocker. A
number of people are not using nightlies for this reason.
-the cursor keys are super wonky, so I need to check in my plankmenu arrow
keys rewrite
-it's extremely slow due to the way that default palettes are stored and
loaded. Eg. POWERXE.RPG takes about 8 seconds to bring up the walkabouts
menu for me. I have a branch where I replace defpal#.bin with rgfx
-frame names like "hurt", "attack B" etc are missing. I have a branch for
that too
-the obsolete .pt# and .mxs lumps aren't deleted yet

I also have a large collection of unrelated bug reports, but we could work
on those after feature freeze (I should get back work on migration the bug
trackers too... was having problems installing perl modules)

But my actual argument against going to feature freeze now is that it would
be sad to delay such game-changing features such as animations by three
months, when they're almost ready and we've already paid most the
instability cost. For example, I can make walktall obsolete just by adding
a simple prompt asking what size spriteset you want to add. (Abitrary enemy
and hero sprite sizes are enabled by a branch where I've done heaps of
battle code cleanup and partially converted battles to slices)
I know this is the same reason we always ended up delaying releases by
months or even years, but in this case I think it's more like days!