[Ohrrpgce] [ohrrpgce:bugs] Re: #2031 Hero slices are associated with caterpillar ranks rather than heroes

TeeEmCee teeemcee at users.sf.net
Mon Jan 22 17:57:15 PST 2018

I typed up a long reply, but SF ate it. This has happened to me before. Just when I was noticing some improvements to their bugtracker and website... no, I massively prefer bugzilla with Web 1.0 technology where pressing the back button actually works. Or github or bitbucket. Oh, and now this text input field has broken on me too.

Anyway, I think it's contradictory for each hero to have its own slice, and also for there to be slices for non-existent heroes. It would require that those extra slices are created and destroyed as heroes get added/removed from the active party, so would not actually have any use. The only purpose of having those slices would then be that you can use slice commands on the result of "get hero slice" without getting an error. But you wouldn't get one in release mode anyway. Is it much of a burden to have to check whether the slice exists?
Well, there is another potential use, which is to setup some additional placeholder slices just once in newgame/loadgame scripts (like 'hat' or 'name' child slices), since it turns out that those get kept even as the sprite gets reset to the hero's. This would be covered by the backcompat bit.

Also, notice after giving each hero its own slice, games which do something like the following will break:
~~~
global variable(1, leader slice)
plotscript, newgame, begin
  leader slice := get hero slice(0)
 end
~~~

---

** [bugs:#2031] Hero slices are associated with caterpillar ranks rather than heroes**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** OHRRPGCE
**Created:** Mon Jan 22, 2018 03:02 PM UTC by TeeEmCee
**Last Updated:** Mon Jan 22, 2018 03:38 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

Hero slices act rather weird. Slices are assigned to heroes based on their rank. If their rank changes (due to add, delete or swap of heroes) then their slices get reassigned, and the sprites and positions updated to match the hero. But any other slices you've parented to the hero slice will suddenly be parented to a different hero.

Closely related, there are always 4 hero slices regardless of the number of heroes in the active party. I know this has tripped people up, for example, it's very unexpected for "find slice at point" to find a hero that doesn't exist. I intend to mark these slices as template slices to reduce those problems. But it would be better to get rid of them.

Both changes would need a backcompat bit. (It would be the same one)

Also, I think it would be good if hero slices were preserved even when a hero is in the reserve party, so that you don't need to re-stepup slices when the party changes (in future I expect they will be preserved in saved games like other slice) and so that they can be used in future in the Party special screen or other uses.
It's perfectly legal to have slices disconnected from the slice tree, but that creates so many possible edgecases. A safer solution is probably to have a special hidden toplevel slice in the slice tree for storing "disconnected" slices.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because ohrrpgce at lists.motherhamster.org is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/ohrrpgce/bugs/