[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/9931 Fix two bugs involving textbox 'after' links, one quite nasty.

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 20:19:32 PST 2018

On 2 January 2018 at 03:55, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> teeemcee
> 2018-01-01 06:55:47 -0800 (Mon, 01 Jan 2018)
> 953
> Fix two bugs involving textbox 'after' links, one quite nasty.
>
> In the textbox editor, pressing Ctrl+Left/Right to link to another box
> appeared
> to work but actually the "After" tag condition didn't get set to "Always",
> although it claimed it was. It didn't actually get set to "Always" until
> you
> entered a submenu. The textbox editor doesn't save when you exit (instead,
> its
> meant to save when data is edited), so it's possible that what appears to
> be the
> state of the textbox never makes it to disk.
> Reported by Taoki.
>
> The in-game F1 textbox debug screen also showed "ALWAYS" instead of "NEVER"
> (this only affected the After box/script option; tags aren't shown for
> other
> conditionals), which made this bug even more confusing.
>
> The bug was that these lines of code were in the wrong order:
>        SaveTextBox box, st.id
>        update_textbox_editor_main_menu box, menu()
> but to make this less confusing I instead split out
> "textbox_set_after_textbox"
> ---
> U   wip/game.bas
> U   wip/textboxedit.bas
> U   wip/whatsnew.txt

Note that this bug is a lot like a data corruption bug: what you see in the
textbox editor isn't what actually happens in-game, so unless you actually
tested your textbox chains, you wouldn't know whether they're broken.
Entering any submenu fixed the problem. They're still broken, but at least
now you can see it. You would have to look through all your textboxs to be
certain you're not affected.

So it might be a good idea to scan the game for After chains with a Never
condition and warn people about them. This only has to happen once, so
could be done in upgrade() and controlled by a fixbit.
But, that's a lot of trouble, and it's unlikely to be affected by it...

Also, there was another bug I didn't mention: if you intentionally set an
After chain with a Never condition, it would get turned into an Always
condition when you exited the conditional editor (and actually saved that
way).