[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/9461 Rename constDirection enum to DirNum, and use dir* constants pretty much

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 05:52:00 PDT 2017

On 26 September 2017 at 01:36, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> On Monday, September 25, 2017, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>
>> teeemcee
>> 2017-09-25 01:48:49 -0700 (Mon, 25 Sep 2017)
>> 272
>> Rename constDirection enum to DirNum, and use dir* constants pretty much
>> everywhere
>>
>> Too bad, LEFT and RIGHT are taken, or I would have replace dirLeft with
>> Left,
>> etc.  And I much prefer Left and Right to East and West, because who can
>> remember which one is which anyway??
>

> I visualize a world map. Then I see a vision of Jackie Chan and Owen
> Wilson from "Shanghai Noon" Jackie says "This is the West, not the East.
> The sun may rise where we come from... but here is where it sets."
>
> You might think I am joking, but no, that is seriously how I remember
> east/west almost every time!
>
> Is there any wonder I prefer east/west over right/left? ;)

Haha!
Personally I remember east/west by remembering California is the west of
the US and the Orient is the east of Asia. Ever since I did US history for
a year, I know west/east best by the US coasts.

But seriously, I was left searching for a bug in pathfinding for 5 minutes
because I'd mixed up left and right... turns out that 1 and 3 is also much
harder to get the right way around than 0 and 2! I think this strange
difficulty people have is because east and west are make-believe and don't
actually exist!