[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/9727 Remove line slices from the editor again. Still available in priviledged

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 21:15:14 PST 2017

On 23 November 2017 at 17:38, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> I was playing with them in the slice editor today. I like how they are
> working.
>
> How hard would line thickness be to implement?

One benefit of having rewritten drawline is that thick lines could be
implemented directly, rather than calling drawline multiple times.

The problem is still what how to handle the ends. Even drawing filled
circles at the ends is difficult, you can't just draw the line with a
horizontal or vertical end edge and then draw a circle on top, because
you'll have either a gap or a sharp edge sticking out.
(We could have an option to draw squares, circles, or octagons at the
endpoints, squares might be easiest)
Also, I'm concerned that the apparent visual thickness of a line will
change as it's rotated if the thickness setting determines as
min(horizontal thickness, vertical thickness), because the perpendicular
thickness is different. For the same reason, the size of the endpoint
circles would change as you rotated the line. So I should we should add a
correction.

So all in all, quite difficult.

> I was already thinking about how I might want to use them.
>
> One thing I want to try is to attach a lineslice somewhere, like, say, a
> dragon's neck. Then I could attach the head as a child of the line. I could
> move the head around using the slice  movement commands. Once per tick I
> would update the lineslice's width/height setting them equal to the x/y of
> the dragon head slice. That would get me a similar effect to your
> anchor-to-xy idea.

Actually, it was your anchor-to-xy idea :)

Whether line slices use the xy or the size or an internal data field as the
drawline offset has a lots of consequences for how things like slice
velocity, collision checking, parenting, filling, and well, everything
really, work. So worth thinking more about. If you wanted to move the head
with slice velocity commands then there would be one-tick visual delay
because the script runs to update the size.

As for using a line as a neck, this makes me wonder about lines with
tapering thickness... it seems like it would be easy to implement.

> Anyway. I like the lineslices just fine so far. I think they are on the
> right track
>

> On Wednesday, November 22, 2017, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We were discussing line slices and negative slice sizes here:
>> https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128795#128795
>> And in a mailing list thread "Plan for LineSlice".
>>
>> While I'm fairly comfortable with how line slices work, there's still the
>> possibility to change them completely. I tried some experiments with
>> alternatives, like drawing to x+w-1,y+h-1, but found that giving zero or
>> negative width/height different behaviour leads to a nasty glitch as you
>> gradually change the size of the line slice.
>> E.g. imagine that you want to create a dial. What you really want is
>> direct access to drawline(), no crazy schemes for "encoding" and "decoding"
>> the drawline parameters into slice attributes needed.
>> But there are still other possibilities, such as discussed before, like
>> making line slices have width/height 0, and draw a line from their anchor
>> point to their x,y position. In other words, making their position instead
>> of their size be the drawline offset.
>>
>> And anyway, I was being far too hasty in exposing this before we attempt
>> to deal with negative slice sizes.
>> Notice I also implemented a 'flipped' option which causes it to drawn
>> between the opposite corners, but left it commented out.
>>
>> Also, I started implementing line slice commands,
>> https://bitbucket.org/rbv/ohrrpgce/branch/lineslice
>>
>> On 23 November 2017 at 16:40, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> teeemcee
>>> 2017-11-22 19:40:32 -0800 (Wed, 22 Nov 2017)