[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/8539 Hold Shift in sprite and maptile editor to move faster, type a pal index

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 06:29:26 PDT 2017

On 17 March 2017 at 01:11, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, March 16, 2017, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 15 March 2017 at 04:18, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

>>> Indexes are always zero-based! Anyone who says otherwise is mathing
>>> wrong! I am prepared to holy-war over this! ... j/k no i'm not ;)
>>>
>>> But seriously, it does seem like a good idea to make it zero-based for
>>> when we have bigger palettes-- also, 0 is the transparent color, so the 0
>>> key not being next to the 1 key is probably no big deal.
>>>

>> I was actually thinking of using 1-based indexing when using a palette
>> and 0-based when not, but this must just me be exercising no common sense
>> aversion to complexity, as usual.
>> The reason being that I figured that colour 0, the background, is
>> actually the most important and common one, so it should have a key that's
>> easy to find and reach, which the '0' key isn't.
>> But the tilde key could double for colour 0. It's current used for
>> toggling cursor visibility, which could be moved elsewhere.
>>

> Hehe! This sounds like a funny and only moderately cruel prank to play on
> our future selves ;)
>
> I'm still gonna vote for 0-based, but I will be okay with 1 based if that
> is what you settle on.

No, I'm happy with 0-based.

What we actually need is an easier way to delete the pixel under than
cursor, rather than changing the palette colour. Delete is available.
Ctrl+Space or Ctrl+Click are also options (Alt+Space isn't available, and
shift+space isn't an option because then you'll hit shift+arrow keys
accidently as you try to delete multiple pixels). Or we could use Z or D
and Shift+click. Ctrl+Space isn't terrible, but not as nice as space or
Z/D. The delete key needs to be very easy to hit in alternation to space
and G (for eyedropper). D is near G; Z is also easy to reach with your
pinky while pressing G and space... even on a German keyboard :) But wait,
people probably keep their hand near < and > to change colours, so the key
should be near those too, on the right of the keyboard. Maybe K for kill.

If you hit the delete key-comb on a pixel that is already zero, it could
insert the colour of last deleted pixel. Then you can very quickly move a
pixel over a bit. Or it could insert the current colour. (And then trying
to draw the current colour on a pixel already that colour could delete it
instead)

And if you do have colour 0 selected, the delete function can paint with
the last selected colour.

I might still add ~ for colour 0. Or maybe I'll make it an alias for the
eyedropper, since that's what it is in grafx2, very convenient.

Or... as you probably saw, Wendigo was complaining about brokeness on a
German keyboard. I think converting just the sprite editor to portable and
remappable keys is not that huge a project. The mapping can be displayed on
the help page using embed codes pretty easily.  Argh! When will I find the
time?