[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/8539 Hold Shift in sprite and maptile editor to move faster, type a pal index

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Tue Mar 14 08:18:40 PDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 7:36 AM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 15 March 2017 at 03:21, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>
>> Interesting!
>>
>> Right away, the palette numbers felt off-by-one to me, because typing 1
>> selected 0, and typing 0 got me nothing-- but when I started thinking of
>> them as palette hot-keys rather than typing in a number, it felt
>> comfortable again.
>>

> Considering that the palette numbers aren't actually displayed anywhere,
> I'm inclined to argue that it's all in your head!
> However, this is going to be a problem once the sprite editor supports
> using the master palette directly without a subpalette. I guess in that
> mode it will have to switch to 0-based input.

Indexes are always zero-based! Anyone who says otherwise is mathing wrong!
I am prepared to holy-war over this! ... j/k no i'm not ;)

But seriously, it does seem like a good idea to make it zero-based for when
we have bigger palettes-- also, 0 is the transparent color, so the 0 key
not being next to the 1 key is probably no big deal.

> Also, 0 selects the tenth colour.
>

>> The time-out for typing two digit numbers is very well tuned, and after
>> playing with it for a while, my original misgivings melted away, and I am
>> very happy with it.
>>

> First I tried a second, but that was too much, so I reduced it to half a
> second, and that was good enough. And coincidentally, that's also how long
> the colour index displays for after you change palette index :)
>

>> I like that I can treat my first 9 colors like hotkeys, and at the same
>> time, I still have quick access to the other colors.
>>

> I wouldn't have bothered allowing access to colours above the tenth, but
> of course the plan is to increase the Palette16 palette size soon anyway. I
> still haven't figured out how to display the UI for that, probably in rows
> of 16, and maybe show at most 2-3 rows at once... or switch between showing
> the whole master palette at once vs the whole subpalette.
>
> (Having a subpalette with over 100 colours is of course useless in most
> cases, except when you take a sprite imported or drawn to use the master
> palette directly and then want to palette swap it.)

This is exciting! :)

I like the idea of being able to show just a few rows of a sprite palette.
For limited-color sprites, that is exactly what I would want.

How about if the master palette display can be shrunk, or entirely
minimized when we don't need to see it?

Also, although I still want to have hotkeys for keyboard controls of things
like master-palette-minimizing or changing the number of displayed
spritepalette rows, having a mouse-driven menu for that type of stuff will
probably be good.

The current size of each color block in the master palette display is
totally arbitrary, and copied from an ancestral sprite editor even older
than the ohrrpgce itself (I think most of the current sprite editor layout
is from the Cowbobs sprite editor, maybe?)