[Ohrrpgce] Textbox Discussion

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 20:38:09 PDT 2017

On 6 June 2017 at 10:54, Jeremy Bursey <zippywings at hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Regarding *Entrepreneur*, it uses text, menus, and slices to convey its
> information, sometimes all at once. It's just as chaotic as the rest of the
> game's design. But I try not to let any of the elements overlap, though the
> screen size sometimes makes that unavoidable.
>

> What I'm moving toward in either the next release or the one after that is
> to use menus as choice box selections to allow for multiple player inputs
> at the shopping level (and wherever else choices are made), which players
> will select while the textbox is open. My preference is to move the item
> descriptions into vertically-placed textboxes (or text slices) that cover
> the right half of the screen and keep the choice boxes on the left, since
> that'll allow the player to see all of the choices at the same time rather
> than having to scroll through them, which I would need to do if I kept the
> text on the bottom and the choices on the top. This also means that I would
> need to take advantage of the custom screen size by changing the dimensions
> from 320x200 to 448x280 in order to fit everything on screen comfortably.
>

> So, I would need to display menus and textboxes together, or menus and
> text slices together to keep the current design functional and compatible
> with future development.
>

> As far as menus and gameplay is concerned, the only element of the game
> that currently uses menus as a control item is the painting sequence at
> Pine Alley Drive. The protagonist moves according to menu selection, and
> the player has to select either "Done for Now" or "Done for Good" to regain
> control of the character. The text doesn't appear until the menu is closed,
> but it doesn't mean I would never want text to appear while it is
> activated. However, I'm not against writing text slices for that.
>

> Regarding two textboxes on display at once (or stacking textboxes), I see
> a benefit to that if the screen size is large enough to justify it, but
> unless the two texts are both clearly visible, I don't see the point. *Powerstick
> Man XE* and *Tightfloss Maiden* both fake double textboxes for their
> displays, and do it competently. Maybe it's easier to do it natively, but
> slice collections really do help make it work without the extra textbox.
> I'd say the advantage of having multiple textboxes on display at once is to
> simplify placement of each, whereas slice collections would have to be
> guesstimated against the existing textbox on display and would be placed
> depending on screen size, which could possibly lead to misalignment at
> higher resolutions. That's not so appealing.
>

> Either way, games using two or more textboxes will and do exist.
> *Entrepreneur* uses textboxes to display end-of-day stats natively, which
> I prefer because I can more easily show stats via global variables, whereas
> slice collections require a bunch of strings I wouldn't want to use up in a
> single sitting, even if they're recyclable.

You can do this easily. Just use either the expandstring script command to
process ${V#} codes, or use the textboxtext command to simultaneously load
the text of a textbox and expand the codes, which you can then display in a
text slice.

> I'd rather have a textbox that can display an endless number of lines on a
> scroll bar than displaying two eight-line textboxes at once, but I wouldn't
> be against displaying stats in one box and a reaction text from the
> character at the same time in another. As you probably know, if I need it
> and can use it, I'll use it. And you should know by now that I'll probably
> need it. 😉

That's definitely a main goal of converting textboxes to a new file format.