[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/8963 Reenable and rewrite mouse support in menus.

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Tue Jul 4 06:53:49 PDT 2017

On Monday, July 3, 2017, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 July 2017 at 16:24, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','Bob at hamsterrepublic.com');>> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:18 PM, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com
>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','subversion at hamsterrepublic.com');>> wrote:
>>
>>> teeemcee
>>> 2017-07-03 21:18:05 -0700 (Mon, 03 Jul 2017)
>>> 444
>>> Reenable and rewrite mouse support in menus.
>>>
>>> (Yikes, it's been 4 years since James disabled his first attempt!)
>>> The difference is that this time, hovering the mouse over a menu item
>>> highlights it (setting .hover) instead of selecting it.
>>>
>>> This is blanket-disabled in Game. I'm not sure whether we want the mouse
>>> control
>>> in Game to be per-MenuDef or per-MenuState or global (and overridable
>>> when
>>> in a debug menu, etc), and how that should work.
>>>

>> I was planning a global mouse-menu enable option in the menu options
>> menu. Probably a per-menudef overide would make sense too.
>>
>> I have also been thinking a lot about how we will need separate support
>> for mouse-menus and touch-menus, since hover is pretty meaningless in touch
>> mode.
>>
>> One possibility I was thinking of was that if you touch and drag up or
>> down it changes your selection, but if you touch and release with no drag,
>> then it confirms the current selection. I'll have to give it a test to see
>> if it actually feels usable. (fortunately I have a touch-screen laptop now,
>> so I'll be able to test this sort of thing without having to go through a
>> full android build+deploy each time I want to iterate a test)
>>

> I had totally forgotten about touch.
> I'll leave all of these things to you.
>
> How does the OHR work with a touch-screen laptop? Do we need to extend the
> backends to report whether the device has a touch screen? But you could use
> both the mouse or a touch screen...

I don't think we should attempt to detect or report touch laptops, but I
was thinking that I might want a Mouse/Touch toggle that could optionally
be added to the options menu along with volume.

Mostly though, I don't care about touch on laptops, beyond the fact that it
makes testing touch for mobile easier

> I'm going to add right-click controls to select a menu item without
> entering, or cancel out of a menu, since it's often necessary to do both of
> those in Custom; in particular Previous Menu isn't always available.

I think in most cases it would be best to add the missing "Previous Menu"
menu item.

> I don't know how to handle that with touch controls at all, but this is
> probably only going to affect menus in Custom anyway, so it's probably not
> necessary to support touch there.

 Yes. Touch is important for game, but I am not worried about touch for
custom.

On Mobile, you can currently right click with a two finger press, which I
might make use of, but we shall see.