[Ohrrpgce] Better Linux Binaries

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:44:37 PST 2017

Yes, I actually put a page on the wiki with my thoughts; didn't get as far
as instructions for actually building portable binaries:
https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Portable_GNU-Linux_binaries
Aside from the two options presented on the freegamedev wiki page, there is
a third option: crosscompile. Then you ought to be able to compile just by
passing the right arguments to scons. This is a lot like the chroot option,
except you don't need a full distro, just the core libraries, headers, and
build tools.
I found a post about how to do that:
http://preshing.com/20141119/how-to-build-a-gcc-cross-compiler/
Towards the end of the article he links to a script which does it all
automatically: https://gist.github.com/preshing/41d5c7248dea16238b60 but it
doesn't look foolproof.
But there ought to be a faster way that just downloads existing binary
packages instead of compiling gcc etc.

Also, it's not necessary to do the -Wl,-rpath stuff in that freegamedev
article. Usually instead people just provide a .sh script which sets
LD_LIBRARY_PATH before calling the executable, which is a lot easier to
inspect and modify. Could also use such a script to decide whether to run a
32 or 64 bit binary, to package games universally for linux.