[Ohrrpgce] Help! Can music_native and music_native2 play sound effects on Windows?

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 05:16:43 PST 2017

On 19 February 2017 at 23:44, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I try a build using music_native on Windows XP in VirtualBox, only
> MIDI plays, sound effects and other music doesn't. I got someone else to
> confirm the same on Windows 7.
> You can get a build here: http://hamsterrepublic.com/
> ohrrpgce/nightly/ohrrpgce-wip-sdl-native.zip
>
> I tried the oldest available build with music_native, from 5 years ago,
> available here:
> http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/nightly-archive/2012-04-01/ohrrpgce-
> wip-sdl-native.zip
> That was silent too!
>
> When was the last time anyone used music_native? Can anyone else double
> check that even the 2012 version doesn't work?
>
> I've just compiled a working copy of audiere on Linux, so now I can run
> music_native, and (aside from not supporting MIDI), it works fine*. I
> hadn't previously tested it in years.
>
> music_native used to be the default build until r1404 (Sep 2007), so
> OGG/sound effects must have worked until at least 2007. There was never a
> stable release that used music_native, because of a long release cycle
> before Ubersetzung.
> But when did they stop working? There have been very few changes to
> music_native over the years.
> I would have to install FB 0.16 or something to compile a 2007 version.
>
> An aside: I noted in r3040/r3041 (Nov 1 2009) that music_native2 had been
> abandoned for years with only fixed made to music_native which is odd
> considering that it was meant to be a less buggy improvement over
> music_native.
>

> * Except that the 'musix-retrospective.mod' track in audiotest.rpg is
> silent... and does strange things to the volume level.
> If you want to try music_native on Linux (the kernel), you might find it's
> silent because it outputs to the terribly obsolete OSS system using the
> usually missing /dev/dsp device. You can use "modprobe snd_pcm_oss" to
> create this device, but it still won't play if anything else has audio
> open! Instead, if you have PulseAudio (which I think nearly all distros now
> use), you can run "padsp ./ohrrpgce-custom" to get music_native to work. If
> you have a 64 bit distro then you will probably need a 64 bit build of the
> OHR.
> Note that audiere uses DUMB to play module files, which was also abandoned
> long ago (though it was forked recently), and is skipped if missing. So if
> you get audiere from a package manager it might not be compiled with module
> support.
> So yeah, music_native is still not a real option on Linux.

I found an old TODO item stating that .wav works in music_native but
nothing else does (except MIDI), which is indeed correct.
I thought that maybe audiere.dll just hasn't been linked to the necessary
libraries, or it expects to link to them at runtime. But it's 500KB, a
similar size to SDL_mixer. It's stripped, but looking at the strings in it,
it'd guess it's linked to speex and FLAC playback libraries.