[Ohrrpgce] Help! Can music_native and music_native2 play sound effects on Windows?

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 02:44:44 PST 2017

When I try a build using music_native on Windows XP in VirtualBox, only
MIDI plays, sound effects and other music doesn't. I got someone else to
confirm the same on Windows 7.
You can get a build here:
http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/nightly/ohrrpgce-wip-sdl-native.zip

I tried the oldest available build with music_native, from 5 years ago,
available here:
http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/nightly-archive/2012-04-01/ohrrpgce-wip-sdl-native.zip
That was silent too!

When was the last time anyone used music_native? Can anyone else double
check that even the 2012 version doesn't work?

I've just compiled a working copy of audiere on Linux, so now I can run
music_native, and (aside from not supporting MIDI), it works fine*. I
hadn't previously tested it in years.

music_native used to be the default build until r1404 (Sep 2007), so
OGG/sound effects must have worked until at least 2007. There was never a
stable release that used music_native, because of a long release cycle
before Ubersetzung.
But when did they stop working? There have been very few changes to
music_native over the years.
I would have to install FB 0.16 or something to compile a 2007 version.

An aside: I noted in r3040/r3041 (Nov 1 2009) that music_native2 had been
abandoned for years with only fixed made to music_native which is odd
considering that it was meant to be a less buggy improvement over
music_native.

* Except that the 'musix-retrospective.mod' track in audiotest.rpg is
silent... and does strange things to the volume level.
If you want to try music_native on Linux (the kernel), you might find it's
silent because it outputs to the terribly obsolete OSS system using the
usually missing /dev/dsp device. You can use "modprobe snd_pcm_oss" to
create this device, but it still won't play if anything else has audio
open! Instead, if you have PulseAudio (which I think nearly all distros now
use), you can run "padsp ./ohrrpgce-custom" to get music_native to work. If
you have a 64 bit distro then you will probably need a 64 bit build of the
OHR.
Note that audiere uses DUMB to play module files, which was also abandoned
long ago (though it was forked recently), and is skipped if missing. So if
you get audiere from a package manager it might not be compiled with module
support.
So yeah, music_native is still not a real option on Linux.