[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/8376 Convert the mapping GOSUB block into mapeditor_mapping() SUB

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 14:10:53 PST 2017

On 3 February 2017 at 04:26, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Great! That one branch crossing warning in mapping has been annoying.
>> I noticed that you didn't move certain arrays like lockedzonelist() into
>> MapEditState. Don't forget that you can now put variable-length arrays in
>> UDTs! You have to declare them like "lockedzonelist(any) as integer". The
>> 'any' indicates that it's a varlen array with a single dimension; add more
>> anys for more dimensions.
>>

> Ooh! I did not know that. I have fixed it.
>
> I also tried to move mode_tools_map() into MapEditState, but that caused a
> somewhat nonsensical error message in custom.udts.bi that did not seem to
> have anything to do with the part of the code that I was actually changing
>
> /home/james/Dropbox/src/ohr/wip/custom_udts.bi(344) error 14: Expected
> identifier, found 'MenuState' in 'zonemenustate as MenuState'

That's saying that MenuState hasn't been declared. You need to put
"#include "udts.bi"" at the top of custom_udts.bi. A lot of our header
files don't actually include the files they depend upon, but rley on them
already being included.
If that doesn't work, it means there's a circular inclusion problem... but
udts.bit certainly shouldn't include custom_udts. (BTW, fbc -showincludes
is invaluable for debugging such circular includes)

>> Also, if you want to remove the GOSUBs in sprite_editor you can; I'm not
>> currently working on it. Currently some of the tools in sprite_editor are
>> implemented in GOSUBs, and some are just inlined in sprctrl. Since I
>> converted it to Frames, most of the tools are just a single line plus
>> boilerplate, so I was thinking of just inlining most rather than subifying,
>> though consistency would be cleaner. Not sure if cleaning up sprctrl is
>> even going to be beneficial long term...
>>

> I'll tackle sprite_editor's gosubs if I have time.
>
> Am I correct to guess that you *are* doing something with the map tile
> editor that I should avoid stepping on?

No, I haven't touched the map tile editor.

I had assumed that eventually when sprite_editor gains the ability to edit
sprites which use the master palette directly we could use it to edit map
tiles as well, throwing away the separate map tile editor one.
But actually, the map tile editor seems to have cleaner code than the
sprite editor, so it would be a pity to do so (although, as long as you're
deleting code, you're reducing the amount of messy code!). I know you did a
lot of cleanup some years ago. Maybe we can transplant in some of the good
bits.

> ---
> James
>

>> On 1 February 2017 at 07:47, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> james
>>> 2017-01-31 10:47:29 -0800 (Tue, 31 Jan 2017)