[Ohrrpgce] Odd battle caption behaviour

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Fri Apr 28 07:08:51 PDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 6:24 AM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was trying out attack caption delays, and noticed two odd things.
>
> The first, I'm pretty sure is a bug.
> In active-time mode, if an enemy uses an attack with a long-time caption
> (and "Attack captions pause battle meters" is on), but it's the player's
> turn next (with battle meter already full, I guess; this is easy to
> reproduce in test.rpg by giving attack 0 a long caption), then battle isn't
> totally paused: the player can go through the menus and pick an attack even
> while the caption is still up. But once they try to actually perform an
> attack, battle pauses for the caption to finish.

Hmmm... That sounds like intended behavior to me-- but it might still be
something we should change. Even though I might have intended it, I might
have been wrong to intend it ;)

Should captions pausing battles prevent the player's menu from opening up?
I would be okay with that, and it probably isn't a compat break.

> Secondly, in any battle mode, whether waiting for captions or not, if the
> battle ends the caption is immediately removed. I would argue that not
> pausing is also a bug, since it easily means a caption is gone almost
> immediately. RMZ complained that he has to use workarounds to prevent the
> battle from ending. I would argue that this is also a bug. Fixing it
> shouldn't be a backcompat problem, because it's only an extra delay.
> Alternatively, we could make the caption continue to display during the
> victory messages, which is useful in case that general bitset wasn't set
> (e.g. in all games before Zenzizenzic), and I guess pause screen fadeout if
> we're still waiting for a caption, in case there are no victory messages.

Ah, yes! I do like the idea of pausing captions delaying the end of battle.
That should happen for both victory and death.

I never thought of it before, but it totally should be fixed.