[Ohrrpgce] Odd battle caption behaviour

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 06:24:10 PDT 2017

I was trying out attack caption delays, and noticed two odd things.

The first, I'm pretty sure is a bug.
In active-time mode, if an enemy uses an attack with a long-time caption
(and "Attack captions pause battle meters" is on), but it's the player's
turn next (with battle meter already full, I guess; this is easy to
reproduce in test.rpg by giving attack 0 a long caption), then battle isn't
totally paused: the player can go through the menus and pick an attack even
while the caption is still up. But once they try to actually perform an
attack, battle pauses for the caption to finish.

Secondly, in any battle mode, whether waiting for captions or not, if the
battle ends the caption is immediately removed. I would argue that not
pausing is also a bug, since it easily means a caption is gone almost
immediately. RMZ complained that he has to use workarounds to prevent the
battle from ending. I would argue that this is also a bug. Fixing it
shouldn't be a backcompat problem, because it's only an extra delay.
Alternatively, we could make the caption continue to display during the
victory messages, which is useful in case that general bitset wasn't set
(e.g. in all games before Zenzizenzic), and I guess pause screen fadeout if
we're still waiting for a caption, in case there are no victory messages.