[Ohrrpgce] [ohrrpgce:bugs] #2013 Slice layering problem in "Karate Fight"

TeeEmCee teeemcee at users.sf.net
Sat Mar 19 06:46:05 PDT 2016

I now notice that r5437 changed backdrops, which used to appear above the script/sprite layer, to being drawn immediately below it. (Actually, the presense of a backdrop caused most other stuff to not be drawn at all, which is effectively the same as backdrops being above the sprite layer, since they didn't support transparency.)

So, that's a pretty blatant bug. We should add a simple fixbit+backcompat bit which causes the backdrop slice to appear in its original position. Good news, genVersion was bumped to 18 in r5477. That catches Karate Fight in particular, which has version 17. (Incidently, we haven't bumped the version in 3 years although there were many good excuses to do so.)

I see one other thing r5437 changed: since then, it's possible for harm tile flashes to be displayed even if a backdrop is displayed.

The switch to drawing the root slice would have broken those and many other assumptions that games could have made about backdrops/the slice tree, such as that stuff parented to the root doesn't get drawn, but it doesn't seem worth worrying about those, since we have no other examples of broken games.

---

** [bugs:#2013] Slice layering problem in "Karate Fight"**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** OHRRPGCE
**Created:** Tue Aug 18, 2015 06:25 PM UTC by Bob the Hamster
**Last Updated:** Tue Aug 18, 2015 06:25 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

In Karate FIght by Gizmog (http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5250) there is a slice layering bug on the game-over screen which first appeared in revision 5437

r5437 | teeemcee | 2012-11-20 05:25:21 -0800 (Tue, 20 Nov 2012) | 6 lines

Start drawing the root slice; added SliceTable.Backdrop slice

Several things such as textboxes are still not drawn using the slice tree, but
they can be added later.

Renamed drawsay to update_textbox and correctbackdrop to update_backdrop_slice

Sent from sourceforge.net because ohrrpgce at lists.motherhamster.org is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/ohrrpgce/bugs/