[Ohrrpgce] [ohrrpgce:bugs] #2006 Starts running very slowly after alt-tabbing away

Bob the Hamster bob_the_hamster at users.sf.net
Tue Nov 24 08:52:59 PST 2015

Got another report of this slowness today from thorbrian, testing with the latest nightly on windows (gfx_directx):

> Hmmm... I just ran the windows thing, and the update rate was off - the game would
>   update like every half second. CPU load was pretty small, maybe like 1/3rd of a core,
>   so it didn't seem to be a performance problem, per se. When I'd go into a menu, the
>   menus were perfectly snappy - no delays or problems. Also, my xbox 360 controller
>    wasn't working in game
>
> So I decided to close it and run it again, and then it ran really well, and the controller
>  was usable, except no controller buttons would exit menus. Then when I grabbed the
>   machete, the problem happened again - really slow update, no controller
>
> So I decided to close it, unplug my controller and run again, and then it worked fine
>
> seems like there is some problem with original xbox 360 controllers?

Could this be a bug with joystick/gamerpad support in gfx_directx?

---

** [bugs:#2006] Starts running very slowly after alt-tabbing away**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** OHRRPGCE
**Created:** Mon Nov 03, 2014 04:47 PM UTC by TeeEmCee
**Last Updated:** Mon Nov 03, 2014 04:47 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

Foxley wrote:
>Also, for some reason Vorpal Florist starts gobbling up CPU cycles and going about 1-2 frames per second if I switch window focus and then switch back. Other games don't seem to do that

Ichiro also reported the same problem affecting all games, but I'll have to look up what he said on SS and IRC (apparently wasn't put on bugzilla).

I asked for more information and got the following response:

>Task manager reports the process going from 0-2% CPU usage when running normally to 5-10% when running at 1-2 frames per second. Also, here's the gdebug.

<pre>
OHRRPGCE wip 20141030.6881 gfx_directx+sdl+fb/music_sdl FreeBASIC 0.23.0 (08-14-2011) Win32 32-bit
Runtime info: gfx_directx "gfx_Initialize()...
Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Driver: nvd3dum.dll
IDirect3DDevice9 object created as hardware device.
D3DXSaveSurfaceToFile() successfully loaded.
Joysticks supported."  music_sdl, SDL 1.2.15, SDL_Mixer 1.2.12 (22050Hz, Music decoders:WAVE,MIKMOD,NATIVEMIDI,OGG,MP3 Sample decoders:WAVE,AIFF,VOC,OGG)  Windows 6.1.7601 (7/Server 2008 R2) Service Pack 1
Playing game D:\OHR Games\vorpalflorist\vorpalflorist.rpg (Vorpal Florist) 11-03-2014 07:03:19
</pre>

None of the "debug_if_slow" calls I put in allmodex.bas around nearly all calls to the graphics backend triggered, which is quite surprising.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because ohrrpgce at lists.motherhamster.org is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/ohrrpgce/bugs/